These symptoms can include sleep disturbance, decreased concentration, anxiety, sadness, anger, irritability, hypervigilance, re-experiencing of traumatic events, and disruptions in social and work related functioning.
Symptoms that persist beyond four weeks following a trauma and that may be indicative of a post traumatic stress disorder are as follows:
- Recurrent and intrusive recollections of trauma.
- Recurrent distressing dreams of the trauma.
- Acting or feeling as if the trauma is recurring.
- Intense psychological distress and/or physiological reactivity upon exposure to cues that resemble the traumatic event.
- Efforts to avoid anything associated with the trauma.
- Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities.
- Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others.
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep.
- Irritability or anger
- Exaggerated startle responses
If you feel that you’re experiencing any form of PTSD, please call so we can work through this difficult time together.